Moose

Moose

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Rural Clinic

Today (Monday, honestly you should probably assume I'm writing a day behind) I spent the day with Nina, Mardge, and Dr. JMV at the Nycungu clinic, not sure how to spell that one. The drive was interesting and beautiful. We drove through the east end of Kigali and around a bunch of hills to the south. Personally, I was shocked I didn't have to get out and push the car. At one point the car rocked back and forth as we teetered on the verge of rolling back down the dirt road we came up on. The clinic is halfway up a hill and the roads are far from paved. I loved being able to look out the window on the way there and see the houses and the roadside change as the trip progressed. The homes reflected a much poorer community as did the far more ragged clothes. The houses were made in a lean-to style with large sheets of crimped metal for the roof. The entire way to the clinic we saw people selling things like fresh fruit, lone pairs of pants, and water. Young boys have cardboard boxes filled with candy and travel packages of kleenex. Very strange combinations of goods are being sold here. The roadside is incredibly interesting. When I say 'lone pair of pants' I mean one person holding up a pair of pants and trying to sell it to everyone walking by.


So I'm temporarily suspending the blog until Sunday. Sat. is day of the African Child! and so, I'm super busy after work getting everything ready for tomorrow. What are you doing, you might ask? Well, I'll tell you. I cut 300 paper plates in half to make 600 paper plate masks, then cut 600 nose notches, and 1200 eye holes, then tied a string on each mask...they're finally done, but tonight I have a pre-celebration meeting...so hang in there 'til Sunday!

No comments: