Moose

Moose

Friday, June 8, 2007

The big day, with relatively little activity

So I just finished yesterday's post and it still listed it as a Thursday post, so the first couple sentences about pretending it's still Thursday makes me look stupid. Whatever, such is life. (At least I don't look as dumb as mom in that turkey hat...hahaha, Just kidding mom, great hat.)
I say today was a big day because I had my project meeting with Mardge. Or Dr. Mardge as she's commonly called here. We've decided on two projects. One being an ARV non-compliance issue. We're going to ask the women, while we're gathering medical data for a project for something else, questions about what makes it hard to take their medication. Very light, very conversational, very relaxed. We, Nina and I will also be asking these questions at the Icyuzuzo clinic and the more rural clinic we will be traveling to on Mondays. Our other project is a little bit trickier and we're looking to address the issue of disclosure. Who do these women tell about their positive status? Why do they disclose, why not? How do they feel afterwards? What reaction do they get? One teen girl reported that her grandmother found out her positive status, told her whole town, and then no one would play with her. I'm finding that many people don't tell anyone outside of their immediate family. It should be interesting to see what everyone says.
Nina and I also did a little shopping today and I discovered my hidden talent for haggling. Originally, the saleswoman wanted to sell me a pair of sandals for 8,000Francs which is $16US and I told her nope, walked away and ended up with them for 3,000F ($6). I truly have a shoe shopping gift. (Don't worry Grandma, I only bought one pair to replace the painful pair.) I came home and we had the second awesomest pizza ever (I heart Lou's!). Which is saying a lot, since I have high pizza standards being from Chicago and all...
Other than that, I spent the night writing two days worth of blogs, reflecting a lot on yesterday, and reading for fun. Tomorrow it's a sobering trip to the genocide memorial in Kigali and possibly the memorial at a rural church.

4 comments:

always there said...

You must love your mother a lot - you always talk about her. She must have a good sense of humor.It is interesting to read and learn from you each day.

always there said...

You are always mentioning your mother - You must love her a lot and she must have a great sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel,

We just heard about your Mom's turkey had yesterday at Cathleen's party! Those are pictures I would love to see!! We missed you at the party.

I am so enjoying your blog... I love to hear about your adventure.. sounds amazing!

Take Care.. Stay Safe!
Love,
Betsy

always there said...

I am so proud of you! Make a difference! I enjoy the pictures. It must be rewarding, but hard to do what you are doing. Get you Mom something special.