Moose

Moose

Friday, June 22, 2007

I'm really bad at updating

People were telling me that promising to post everyday is quite a lofty goal and I turned up my nose at them saying, 'Pish. I'm on top of my stuff.' I lied. Sue me.

Last Saturday was day of the African Child. MOST FUN EVER!!! I started off my day at the futball field welcoming some kids and then made my way over to the crafty activities. No, I did not participate in the futball fun.

I worked at the mask making station and all of our supplies were jacked by the kids before I even got there. Poor Nina...she never saw the stampede coming...The kids were incredibly creative with a few stickers each and some garland. Note to Rebecca: All of your stickers were snatched up and considered a very hot item! I have a picture of a little boy wearing some. I tied masks on little heads for about two hours. The kids took pictures with my camera and while most of them turned out with people missing body parts, they still look great! Pictures are difficult to post on my blog because the internet takes a very long time to load them here so I will be adding an online photo album soon.

After masks I was mobbed at the face painting station. Being one who isn't known for artistic abilities, my lizards looked like bloated turtles, flowers looked like blobs, and cars were unrecognizable. Good thing there weren't any mirrors.

Lunch followed craft time. Fanta's all around. Fanta is a strange fad here. It's a very coveted treat and unfortunately is cheaper than clean water here. I find this to be absolutely ridiculous. Especially since I've yet to see a dentist anywhere here and tooth decay is clearly an extensive problem for this population...can't blame it on the food, they don't get a lot to eat...For lunch we had some meat, wedge french fries, and a really good roll/cake thing. The little girl in the photos I posted with the yellow hat and red coat sat on my lap while she ate and I felt very much at home, like Thanksgiving dinner, cutting up food and helping to control the milk spillage situation. The girl on my lap and the little boy next to me kept sneaking pieces of my meat, so by the time I started eating I didn't actually get to taste any of it. Everything else was delicious though!

The kids danced and sang...I've got video and audio recordings that sound amazing. After the festivities concluded, the other interns and I broke into a spontaneous dance party and I must say, my dance skills were quite good. I danced with a lot of the kids who just really enjoyed the attention and the fun time in such a safe and welcoming place.

Sunday was definitely a day of rest and relaxation. The perfect end to a fabulous week!

No comments: